A few months ago I received a bread maker as a gift. after an initial burst of bread making activity it has sat on a shelf in my pantry. So today I have decided to set myself a challenge, every Friday I will make something, hopefully delicious, with said bread maker.
The Bread Maker Challenge Week 1 – Orange and Poppy Seed Syrup Cake
Ingredients: 125g butter, 80mls (1/3 cup) milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 2 eggs, 1 tbsp finely grated orange rind, 3/4 cup caster sugar, 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour and 2 tbsp poppy seeds. For the orange syrup, 1tsp finely grated orange rind, 60mls (1/4 cup) orange juice) and 1/4 caster sugar.
- place all the cake ingredients into the bread pan in the order listed.
- Insert bread pan into the bread maker.
- Turn power on and select Menu 8 (cake setting), then press Start.
- On completion, remove bread pan from bread maker. Stand for 5 mins before turning onto cooling rack.
- Stir all the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan over a low heat, without boiling until the sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 2 mins without stirring.
- Remove from heat and pour syrup slowly over warm cake, allowing to soak in as you pour.
This cake was so easy to make and was a hit with both husband and son. The only thing is the edges where slightly darker than I would have liked so next time I make this cake I will remove from the bread maker 5 mins earlier.