When I moved to New Zealand from the UK I was fascinated by all the lemon trees. It seemed to me that everyone had a lemon tree in their garden and I couldn’t wait to get my own, so off I trotted to the garden centre for my tree.
When I started harvesting lemons, I had more than I could cook with, therefore I looked for other uses for a lemon, and wow the humble lemon is amazing just see from the list below.
7 Uses For A Lemon
- Sore Throat? Add lemon juice to an equal measure of boiling water and gargle to give your throat an anti bacterial wash.
- Microwave Cleaner – slice up a lemon and add it to a microwave-safe bowel half filled with water. Cook on high for 5 minutes, allowing the water to boil, then leave and let the steam work its magic. Remove the bowel carefully and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Freshen Up The Fridge – Cut a lemon in half and leave it in the fridge for a day to absorb fridge smells.
- Nail Brightener — half a lemon and rub over your nails.
- Lipstick – The ladies of Louis XIV’s court used lemons to redden their lips.
- Rubbish Bin – Take the peel of a couple of lemons and put in the bottom of your rubbish bin to take away the nasty odours.
- Hair Lightener – Lemons are a chemical free natural highlighter for the hair (hmm not sure i’m brave enough to try this one).
I would love to hear if you have any other uses for the humble lemon, so leave a comment.